WELLNESS FIRST COMMITTEE
Click a link below to get more information on our committees, helpful links, and regional initiatives.
Island Health Mental Health & Substance Use
Divisions of Family Practice
Gwa'sala Nakwaxda'kw Health Centre
Fort Rupert Health Centre
First Nations Health Authority
North Island Crisis & Counselling Centre Society
Ministry of Child and Family Development
2021 Addiction and Recovery Services Plan - a Community Update
In Plain Sight - Report on medical system discrimination against Indigenous Peoples
What We Heard: National Framework for Action to Reduce the Harms Associated with Alcohol and Other Drugs and Substances in Canada (2005)
Update to "What We Heard." (2017)
Vision, Mission, and Values of the Wellness First Committee:
Healthy people, healthy communities.
Work to reduce the instances of harm to people impacted by health inequities, addictions, housing insecurity, the impacts of trauma, the impacts of racism, and access to transportation services.
Respect, inclusion, diversity, lived experience, all incremental accomplishments, & collective action.
Goals of the 2020 – 2022 Wellness First Committee:
Short Term Goals:
1. Housing Coalition operational
2. Transportation study complete
3. Update of the 2012 Addiction and Recovery Services Plan started
4. A poverty reduction and work-support initiative outlined and started
Medium Term Goals:
1. Social housing start in the region
2. Support and grow the VTN in cooperation with community partners
3. Reduce the unemployment and poverty rate by promotion of job skills and available supports
Long Term Goals:
1. Reduce the instances of addiction and substance use
2. Reduce the number of people accessing acute care
3. Provide leadership and guidance to communities looking to work to solve issues around mental health, substance use, and access to food, shelter and water.